06 June 2008

orientation...


Comment ca va?

The picture above is one of my AMAZING group heading to Togo! Half of us are in the health program (Community Health & AIDS Prevention) and the other half are in the business program (Small Enterprise Development). Although I joke that the health group is way cooler (16 people, 5 guys, 11 girls) I love all the people in our group. Everyone is really chill and super cool. Some people are incredible stories. We have people from all walks of life too; we have an "older" volunteer, two married couples, and great diversity in our group as well (4 Asians!). It's cool how we all have similar beliefs and values but I guess that's what happens when you join such an idealistic organization as the Peace Corps. I know that we are going to do good work over the next two years and I REALLY hope everyone sticks it through. Right now I don't forsee anyone dropping out but things could change a lot when we get to Togo.

Orientation was really great. Not only was it super informative and definitely helped answer a lot of the questions I had over me, but it was a great time to get to know all the other volunteers in our group. I still had a lot of doubts but most of them have been lessened thanks to the sessions. Most importantly it was nice to know that everyone else was going through the same things that I was going through. We had similar aspirations but also similar anxieties & apprehensions. Although it was wierd to be back in "class" and that's kinda how training is supposed to be, I know that I will learn everything that I need to know before I get to my official site in August.

Philly is cool. Had my first original Philly Cheesesteak OF COURSE! (super good btw). We are staying at a hotel right by Market Street so I really like the area. There are loads of great restaurants and bars and stuff. I am glad I finally made it over to Philly 'cause now I can say that I've been to Pennsylvannia which is the last of the 13 colonies that I had yet to visit. Btw thanks to Pavi & Sujatha Aunty for taking me out to an AMAZING last lunch in the US. It was SOO great to see them before I left and although I didn't get to see uncle or Arpan, it was nice to see a familiar face in Philly...

Anyways I need to finish packing and get SOME sleep tonight before we leave today. We are flying to Paris (thank GOD on Air France) and arrive on Saturday. Then on Saturday we fly to Togo which is where I will FINALLY be on African soil. Wow.

a bientot,
-Nikhil


No comments: