31 May 2008

the packing list

Hey!

So being the huge procrastinator that I am, I finally started packing today. Great timing right? Only 3 days to go. Luckily I have everything I want, now it's just a question of fitting everything I NEED into my luggage. Since I had a hard time coming up with a good packing list based on my research online, I decided I should probably post my packing list here as a reference for future volunteers (particularly those volunteers who are male, going to Togo, and in the CHAP program). Btw, I'll post this list now but expect it to get edited from now until about a good year-or-so into my service when I say "damn, I should have brought XYZ to Togo" or "I'm such an idiot, why did I bring XYZ to Togo".

Oh and just something for you future applicants to think about, one of the unmentioned truths about joining the Peace Corps: it can be pretty expensive. They might give you reimbursements on your medical exams and some money to spend while in country (in all honesty they say, you don't need to spend a lot on things to take with you...which is true to an extent), but if you want to shop properly for the Peace Corps, be prepared to spend a lot of money. I'm probably on the "spent way too much" side of the spectrum but then again, I'm also on the side of the spectrum that believes that it's better to overpack than to underpack.

The Packing List

Luggage:
- Eagle Creek Load Warrior LT 30
- Eagle Creek Grand Voyage 90L
- Jansport Backpack
- Eagle Creek ES Cargo Duffel
- Luggage Locks (TSA Approved)
- Money Belt
- Passport Holder
- Travel Wallet

Electronics:
- Dell Inspiron 6000 Laptop
- Laptop case
- Canon SD600 Camera; 2 Batteries; 2 Memory Cards
- Automatic Camera (as a backup)
- Headlamp
- Flashlight
- Batteries (AA; AAA)
- Battery Charger
- Solio Solar Charger
- Eton American Red Cross Shortwave Radio
- Ipod & Charger & Headphones
- IMain Go (portable speakers)
- Travel Alarm Clock
- Wristwatch
- Voltage converter
- External Portable USB HardDrive
- 1 GB Flashdrive
- Calculator

Grooming
- Toothbrushes
- Toothpaste
- Deoderant
- Razor blades
- Shaving Cream
- Comb
- 2 pairs of eyeglasses
- Contact lenses
- Contact solution & cases
- Eye drops
- Bug spray
- Sunscreen
- Cotton swabs
- Pack towel (quick-drying)
- Eye Mask
- Purell hand sanitizer
- Nail clippers & grooming scissors
- Hand mirror
- Chapstick
- Stingeze/Bite Relief

Clothes:
- Polos
- Dress Shirts
- Ties
- Khakis
- Jeans
- Shorts
- Swim shorts
- Boxers
- Undershirts
- Socks (Casual & Business)
- T-shirts
- Running Shorts
- PJ bottoms
- Sunglasses (Sport & Casual)
- Belts
- $ to buy fabric so I can get western & Togolese clothes tailored for CHEAP!

Shoes:
- Chaco Canyonland Low Russet
- Chaco Z/2 UWP Black
- Chaco Hipthong Singletrack
- Mizuno running shoes
- Brown dress shoes

Kitchen Items:
- Ziplock bags (large & small)
- Can opener
- Vegetable cleaver
- Switchblade knife
- Swiss Army Knife
- Nalgene bottles
- Gatorade & Crystal Lite Drink packets
- Spices: Tabasco, Crushed Red Pepper, Garlic, Salt/Pepper
- Orbitz Chewing Gum
- Candy (for the kids)

Miscellaneous Items:
- Pillow case & Bedsheet
- US & World Map
- DVDs (including How I Met Your Mother Seasons 1 & 2...a must have! and some Hindi movies b/c apparently West Africans love Hindi films)
- Photo Album and photos of family & friends
- Frisbee
- Harmonica
- Guitar Chord Book
- Duct tape & Masking Tape
- Scissors
- Pens
- Pencils
- Notebooks
- Journal
- Passport Photos
- Uno & Playing Cards
- Highlighters/Markers/Sharpies
- Stickers
- Post it notes
- US Stamps
- Toys (for the kids)

One final note, I HAVE to give a shout out to some amazing companies that gave me a discount on my purchases because I was a Peace Corps volunteer. Most notably: Chaco USA, Eagle Creek & REI. Thanks guys!

ciao,
-Nikhil

2 comments:

Satin said...

Hey!

I want to wish you luck on your Peace Corps Service. My time is coming up soon. I will be making a trip to Togo so keep an eye out for that sometime down the road. If you ever need to take a trip, come and visit! I'll add you on my blog as a reference too. I'd like to hear how things are going for you. Keep in touch!

Satin

Jocelyn said...

Hi Nikhil,

I am getting to Togo in just about 2 weeks as part of the GEE program. Thanks so much for posting your packing list! It's super helpful for us up and coming volunteers!
Jocelyn