28 May 2007

Peace Corps Application - Personal Statement

Hey Everyone!

As promised, here is my personal statement for my Peace Corps application. I know that it seems similar to my next post on "you want to join what? the peace corps?" but I feel that this statement brings up some slightly different points. Plus this essay is a lot more focused and a better example (I think?) of what they are looking for in this essay. Enjoy!

Peace Corps service presents major physical, emotional and intellectual challenges. You have provided information on how you qualify for Peace Corps service elsewhere in the application. In the space below, please provide a statement (between 150-500 words) that includes:
• Your reasons for wanting to serve as a Peace Corps volunteer; and
• How these reasons are related to your past experiences and life goals


The advertisement for Peace Corps reads, “Life is calling. How far will you go?” It’s pretty ironic to read those words because for the past three years, those words have resonated over and over again in my head in some shape or form. I came into college thinking I knew exactly who I was and what I wanted to do with my life. My name is Nikhil and I was going to be a skilled neurologist with the perfect family and wonderful home. But all of that changed after my freshman year where I met some truly inspirational friends who challenged me to serve not just those who CAN serve themselves but rather serve those that CAN’T.

Now I find myself at a very fuzzy point as college experiences have made me question who I thought I was, who I aspire to be, and where I want to go with my life. The words of the Peace Corps advertisement are still resonating in my head, almost as if they are a compass pointing me in the direction I need to go. How far am I willing to go? I’m not quite sure but I do know that I still want to dedicate my life to helping people. Inspired by one of my main role models, Dr. Paul Farmer, I recently wrote a vision statement for my life concerning the desire to achieve universal healthcare and universal access to medical resources. Based on this vision, I ideally see my future self working in the field of international non-profit health working to improve the healthcare infrastructure of developing countries.

By participating in the US Peace Corps, I feel that my experience as a Peace Corps volunteer would give me not only the perspective I need to know if I am definitely headed in the right direction but also to experience first hand the healthcare challenges of the underprivileged, something that would assist me in better understanding my global vision. Also, I believe that the Peace Corps will be a very humbling experience for me because it will allow me to experience life the way my father did. My dad grew up in a rural South Indian village and struggled to overcome adversity to become the successful doctor he is now here in the US, and, for that, I have tremendous respect for him.

Although I have lived in many different environments, the Peace Corps would be my first opportunity to give back in a truly unique way, through integrating into and serving a community in need of assistance. Additionally, the Peace Corps would give me so much, not only in the forms of new on-the-job skills, but also life lessons in adapting to new surroundings and a renewed passion in fulfilling my mission for universal healthcare equality.

1 comment:

Anneke Sergio said...

I’m Mark Russ , I contracted HIV in 2009, I was told by my doctor that there’s no possible cure for HIV. I started taking my ARV’s, My CD4 was 77 and viral load was 112,450. I saw a website of Dr. Imoloa also I saw a lot of testimonies about him on how he uses herbal medicine to cure HIV. I contacted him and told him my problems, He sent me the herbal medicine and i took it for two weeks after then I went for check-up and I was cured. The medicine has no side effect, there’s no special diet when taking the medicine. He also cure DIABETES, EX BACK, ALES, HEPATITIS B, CANCER, HERPES
1) If you want your ex back.
(2) If you always have bad dreams.
(3) You want to be promoted in your
office.
(4) You want women/men to run after
you.
(5) If you want your own children
(6) You want to be rich.
(7) You want to tie your husband/wife to
be yours forever.
(8) If you need financial assistance.
(9) How you been scammed and you
(10) and if you ant your herpes cure back
want to recover you lost money
(11) CANCER,
(12) DIABETES,
(13) HIV& Aids,
(14) URINARY TRACT INFECTION,
(15) CANCER,
(16) IMPOTENCE,
(17) BARENESS/INFERTILITY
(18) DIARRHEA
(19) ASTHMA..
Also contact him with the above.
and lots more. You can reach him on drimoloaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com or
Whatsapp +2347081986098 all thanks to dr imoloa he is really a great man .