07 June 2008

the flight over...

After an exciting morning at the health clinic to receive our yellow fever vaccines and grabbing a “last lunch” in the US, we all headed over to the airport to catch our flight to Paris. As I mentioned in my previous post, PC Cameroon oriented with us at the same hotel in Philly (although we were separated in different conference rooms); we found out that they were actually on the same flight as us to Paris where they would catch an earlier connecting flight to Cameroon so that was cool. We got to the airport and proceeded to check in with Air France (our flight was code shared with Delta but we flew on Air France which was SUCH a relief as I hate the Delta flights to Paris since Air France is SOO much more comfortable). I finally checked in and miraculously I didn’t have to pay any overweight charges on my bags! Score! We had two hours to kill at the airport so we just chilled at our terminal checking our e-mail for the last time and making last minute phone calls to loved ones back home. Finally, at 6:45pm we boarded our plane. We were on our way to Africa! Goodbye USA…see you in 2.5 years!...

So a quick story about how I am a genius …Whitney, Marcus and I are sitting by each other on the flight over to Paris and we decided to play Uno. So I open up the deck and shuffle the cards and deal them. We are playing and nothing out of the ordinary jumps out at us until the end of the game where Marcus is down to one card and I am down to three cards with it being my turn and Marcus is next. I thrown down a wild card and taking a chance, I pick blue. Marcus unfortunately doesn’t have a blue card so he starts picking up cards from the group deck. He starts picking up cards and picking up cards until there are only two cards left in the deck. Suddenly we all realize that there are no blue cards in the deck and it also clicks that we haven’t played any blue cards the entire game. That’s when it hits me how retarded I am. When I packed for Togo and was packing the Uno game, I opened up the box, saw the two separate decks and thinking that the Uno box was similar to a set of two boxes of cards only packed one of the Uno decks not realizing that you needed both decks to make a complete deck since one deck was red & yellow and the other was blue & green. So basically we had been playing with only two colours. Go me! To make matters even better, I had left the other deck at home in Atlanta. I am amazing…

Paris was cool. A lot of people don’t like Charles de Galle airport but I really like it there. We had a 5 hour layover before our flight to Togo so a couple of us decided to clear customs and check out Paris. There was no way to head into the city due to lack of time but the least we could do is walk on actual French land. So we cleared customs, headed outside and took some funny pictures outside the airport. Then we went in search of food and drinks. We found a cool little café where they were serving drinks and hung out for a bit. Then Reid & I found a great sandwich shop and we ordered amazing baguette sandwiches that were SOO good. The rest of our layover in Paris was pretty uneventful but at 1:20 we finally boarded our plane and we were now on our way to Togo. The flight to Togo was also pretty uneventful but I did get some great shots from my window seat of several cool locations. As our plane flew over the northern coast of Africa, I got a pretty good shot of Morocco. Later as we flew over the Sahara desert I got some decent shots there too. My final cool picture happened really randomly because I had just woken up from a nap when at that exact moment we were flying over the Niger river, just south of Niamey (the capitol of Niger) so I managed to take a good picture from my seat. A few hours later, we landed in Lomé, Togo.

No comments: