22 May 2008

pura vida

Hola mis amigos!

Costa Ricans have a saying they like to use called "Pura vida". Literally translated, it means "pure life"; however, it's really a phrase that is meant to encapture the "tico" lifestyle of relaxation and stress-free living. Think of it as the Costa Rican version of "hakuna matata" = "no worries...life is good". Even though my mind was consumed with the daunting list of things I had to do and take care of when I got back from Costa Rica, I really tried to live the pura vida life by putting it all out of my head and just focusing on being on vacation. And you know something, it really worked :) I don't think I've been that relaxed on vacation ever. Although Michelle had some great ideas of activities to do, it was great to just relax and take in the beauty of the country. There was no timetable. I had a car to take me wherever I wanted. The weather was great (sans Wednesday). Basically, it was an amazingly freeing experience to just live in the moment, something I haven't done in a long time...

So yea, my trip was great. Costa Rica was amazing. It's such a beautiful country filled with beautiful people. The beaches were gorgeous. The flora was lush and tropical (even though we were in cowboy country it was still really green everywhere). The food was delicious and even though Imperial is a decent beer, I basically drank my weight in these great fruit drinks called "naturalezas", the mango ones being my favorites. I got a chance to relax on three different beaches (Bahia de Pirates, Playa Tamarindo & Playa Grande). I went ziplining, rapelling, rock climbing, whitewater tubing and got a spa treatment (sauna, mud bath & volcanic hot springs) in Guachipelin. I even went snorkeling on a booze cruise where I saw one of the prettiest sunsets while sipping on the greatest pina coladas ever (fresh pineapples makes a world of a difference). I got to visit a monkey rescue & rehabilitation center and had one of the best meals of my life at Mar Y Sol, a 5-star restaurant overlooking Playa Flamingo. The only thing that I didn't get to do was go surfing because it rained all day wednesday, the day I had planned to schedule a lesson. That bummed me out. But regardless, it was a GREAT vacation and I have Michelle to thank for that. Thanks Michelle! :)

I can't wait to go back to Costa Rica. For such a small country it really packs quite a punch. I still have yet to check out Monteverde or Arenal. I didn't even get to check out the Caribbean side of the country. It's okay though 'cause this just means I have a reason to go back. I'll post pictures when I get a chance. Now that I'm back in the US :( I have a LOT to do and not a whole lot of time. Oh well, just gotta take it one day at a time right?

hasta luego por ahora,
-Nikhil

1 comment:

micha said...

It was my pleasure!! So glad to hear you had a great time :) It was wonderful having you, and if I'm ever living in an equally awesome place again, you're always weclome to stay!