23 December 2008

a good day

Do you ever just have one of those days where you realize that you are having a good day? Nothing spectacular needs to happen, like no one big defining event, but when you reflect back on the things that happened to you, they are all good. Well today was one of those days. Reid stopped by Sotouboua on her way up north so we could travel up to Niamtougou together for our stâge Christmas fête. After waking up and making a delicious breakfast of scrambled eggs and pancakes, Reid and I spent the whole day relaxing and preparing for our trip up north. We walked out to the Route to pick up some supplies and I ran into several friends. First at the bank we ran into Mr. Kaditche, the owner of the buvette across the street from me and also the guy who works for the Ministry of Health and introduced me to everyone in the hospital. Next we stopped by the post office and I had a brief conversation with the guy who works there and he invited me to fête with him for the New Year. Next we headed to Genevieve’s, my couturiere, to get Reid’s dress fixed. On the way to the petit march we ran into Mr. Claude who works at CEFRET and he told me about the HIV/AIDS film screenings he was working on and invited me to the next film viewing. At the petit marché we picked up some vegetables and “shot-the-breeze” with my marché mama who sells me tomatoes and onions.

I know it’s silly but for the first time in Sotouboua, I feel a semblance of integration. It’s great to be stopped in the street because people know who you are and I can small talk with co-workers. I definitely have a long way before I feel “integrated” into my community but life is about baby steps right? One step at a time…

No comments: