27 February 2008

african musings

Hey!

so just some random interesting facts...

Guess which movie won the Academy Award for Best Picture in 1985 (the year I was born)? Out of Africa! It's a sign I was meant to go to the great continent lol. Mom says its a really good movie so I guess I'll have to order it through Netflix at somepoint.

Also I recently watched The English Patient, mainly because I watched Atonement a while back and everyone kept comparing it to The English Patient (which is rubbish because they don't really have anything in common and The English Patient was way better). Anyways, the point of the story is there was this one quote, about the Harmattan wind that I thought appropriate to post since I will be experiencing this Harmattan at some point in Togo between January/February.

Almásy: "And then there is the harmattan, a red wind, which mariners call the sea of darkness. And red sand from this wind has flown as far as the south coast of England, apparently producing showers so dense they were mistaken for blood."

I wonder if it will rain like blood when I am in Togo. hmm...

ciao for now,
-Nikhil

No comments: