06 February 2008

accepting my invitation...

Hey!

So after playing phone tag with my PO in DC for a few days, I finally got in touch with him to ask him a few questions before I accepted my invitation. I was really concerned about the whole "learning french" thing before I leave to a predominantly french-speaking country lol (I only have one semester of college french under my belt...eek!). He reassured me that I mainly had to reach an intermediate level and that there were several resources at my disposal. I'm still super nervous so I guess just take it one day at a time right? Well after I officially accepted my invitation, I got thrown for a loop because he wanted to "quiz" me on my invitation to make sure that I knew what I was getting myself into for the next few years. I'm really glad that I read that info sheet like 100 times and knew a little about Togo. Perhaps now would be a good time to check out my welcome book to Togo and learn more info. Actually, if you want to check out my welcome book, go to:

https://www.peacecorps.gov/welcomebooks/TGWB693.pdf

I'll post more info about Togo later so that we can learn about the country together :)

btw I had a mini panic attack this afternoon after the phone call because Steven said that I had 5 days from accepting my invitation to mail my visa and passport forms and 10 days to e-mail my updated resume and aspiration statement. of course this has to happen right when i have two major projects for work due along with my parent's surprise 25th anniversary party this weekend. great timing again peace corps...*breathing exercises*

ciao,
-Nikhil

p.s. for your viewing pleasure...the picture in the header is a view from Mt. Agou, the highest point in Togo at 986m (they use the metric system there so for all you standard system users, 3,234ft) and below, a map of Togo :)


No comments: