27 June 2007

medical clearance...

So, I finally recieved my medical/dental clearance forms in the mail last week and they don't appear to be too complicated since I don't have any serious health conditions that need crazy tests. I got my dad's office to do my physical for me which makes my life soo much easier lol. They got to conduct all the fun labs on me like urinalysis and blood work (PC requests a lot of blood work. I ended up giving 4-5 small vials of blood). I also got three shots today, my Hep B (shot 1), TB test, and my Tetanus shot and was soo proud of myself for not crying (Preface: I hate needles and more so, hate getting shots! go figure for the guy who wants to be a doctor...). Luckily I don't think I've have much of a problem being medically/dentally cleared but everyone was right in saying that this will be my first time practicing my patience as this is going to take a few weeks to complete since I have to wait till next week to get my eyes examined, the earliest I have time to get my dental check-up is in two weeks, and then I have to go back and get my polio booster since my mom has to order one for me along with my Hep B (shot 2) in about a month. Luckily, I don't really need the full Hep B series to be cleared (but mom and dad want to do it anyways even though the peace corps normally provides it) since the the third shot is given 6 months later or else that would have really delayed my medical clearance.

Sorry this post isn't very exciting but remember that part of the reason why I am writing in this blog is to document the Peace Corps process for any prospective PC applicants, particularly GT people referred here by Sarah. Also I'm bored and blogging about the Peace Corps is a lot more fun than doing my Physics II homework...

Oh and I would like to take the time here to say goodbye to Sally Kline, an administrater in the Office of Community Service and Greek Affairs who is leaving Georgia Tech for an Assistant Dean position at the University of Virginia. Sally provided me with much advice concerning my decision to apply to the Peace Corps and her support for me has been incredible. I am truly grateful for her advice and support and I wish her the best in her new ACC school :)

ciao,
-Nikhil

No comments: